Style: This Bharatanatyam dress comprises 6 pieces: Blouse (upper part), Pyjama (lower part), Small fan (waist), Pallu/Dhavani (drape over bosom), Long Fan, Back piece (hip cover/kamar-band). The costume is pre-stitched and ready to wear. All articles have hooks and/or strings to fasten.åÊ
- The pleats in these costumes open beautifully when the dancer forms a particular posture, especially arai mandi (half sitting) and muzhu mandi (full sitting).
Material: Art Silk. The costume is made from authentic South Indian saree brocade silk material. Indigineous craftsmanship as the costume is stitched by tailors who have 30+ years of experience in this industry. Easy and comfortable to wear. Can be used multiple times as the material is of excellent quality.
- Suitable for Bharatanatyam dance, Arangetram performance, art events, stage performance, dance festivals, dance competitions, theaters, stage plays, movies, television, and fashion shows.
Size: Please refer to our size chart and use your best judgement to select the correct size. The blouse and trouser have a 4 inch margin so you can open and adjust the fitting yourself.
Women Adult Sizes (in inches):
Size 34:- Pant length:34, Waist:30, Hip:34, Blouse Bust:30
Size 36 :- Pant length:36, Waist:32, Hip:36, Blouse Bust:32
Size 38 :- Pant length:38, Waist:34, Hip:38, Blouse Bust:34
Size 40 :- Pant length:40, Waist:36, Hip:40, Blouse Bust:36
Size 42 :- Pant length:42, Waist:38, Hip:42, Blouse Bust:38
Care Instructions - Dry Clean only
The costumes of Bharatanatyam are one of the most elegant forms of dresses. Not only does it add to the beauty of the dance, it also represents the culture and tradition of India.
The Dance Bible dresses are designed with colors and patterns that are visually appealing to the eye. The authentic costumes are tailored to perfection, taking care of fabric materials to pattern design. The material of the Bharatanatyam sarees is made of silk and is emphasized with the golden ÌÕzariÌÒ works. The pleats which are present in these costumes give a marvelous look.åÊ
This dhoti style Bharatanatyam costume for women is most popular and worn for all stage performances. All our products are manufactured in India and meet international standards.
Features: Authentic silk fabric, skin friendly, neat finishing, great design and ready to wear.
How to wear a Bharatanatyam costume:
Put on your makeup and hairdo before wearing the entire costume. You can do hair and makeup after wearing just the blouse and trouser.
- Wear the blouse and the trousers. Your costume will have stitched margins in both blouse and trouser of 4 inches, so that you can open them yourself if they don't fit right.
- Drape the pallu on your left shoulder to cover your chest and secure it. Two set of drawstrings provided, one to tighten at back and another to tighten at front. Take the bottom portion of the pallu and secure it beneath the trouser and large fan.åÊ
- Attach the big fan to the trouser on the waist with buttons. Then hook ends of the fan to the trouser on both sides.åÊ
- Drape the small fan on waist and tie at the back. Small fan comes on top of the big fan
- Wear the back cover (kamar-band)
Lastly, put on your temple jewelry and ghungroo and you are set for your dance performance.
Package includes a 6 piece bharatanatyam costume only. (It does not include any jewelry and ghungroo.)
About Bharatanatyam: Bharatanatyam is a classical dance style originating in the temples of southern India. Bharatanatyam is a combination of the words, Bharata and Natyam. Natyam is translated to dance and a popular interpretation of bharata is: bha ̐ as bhava (emotions and feelings), ra is raga (musical notes) and ta is Talam (rhythm). There are two main elements of bharatanatyam which are Nritta and Nritya. Nritta is pure dance, it is creating complex movements and patterns to rhythms. Nritya is a combination of rhythm and expression. The theoretical foundations of Bharatanatyam are found in Natya Shastra, the ancient Hindu text of performance arts. Today, Bharata Natyam is not only limited to India, but is a global dance practice.